The Promise (week six)
Week Six: God's Family Became a Nation
- As a group, read through the ten commandments. (Exodus 20:1-17)
- The first four commandments focus on our relationship with God. Of these four, which is the most difficult to keep? Why?
- How do you think the fourth command (vs.8-11) should be observed? Maybe you don't, talk about why.
- How is the fifth command (vs.12) similar and different from Ephesians 6:1-3? According to Ephesians 6:4, what role do parents have in the fifth command? How have you seen these instructions violated?
- The final five commands focus on our relationship with our neighbor. Of these five, which is the most difficult to keep? Why?
- Read Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28, 33-37, 38-40. How do Jesus' words change the way you think about the commandments? Are Jesus' commands easier or harder to fulfill than Moses'? Why?
- The final five commands seem to be focused on eliminating a self-centered attitude. How has focusing on your own desires, needs, and priorities caused you to break these commandments?
- If you had to choose one of these commands (Exodus, Matthew, or Ephesians) to work on in your life this week, which would it be? What can you change to bring your life into more alignment with Jesus?