Begin by breaking your group into five "sub-groups". If you have less than 10 people, you may have some individuals acting as sub-groups. Assign each sub-group one chapter in 1 John and give them 7-10 minutes to answer the following questions:
1) What words or ideas are regularly repeated in this chapter?
2) Are there any parts of this chapter that remind you of other passages in Scripture? Which ones?
3) What is one verse that really stands out in this chapter.
4) How is this passage informational? How is it instructional? How is it corrective?
Gather together as a group and have each sub-group talk about their discoveries.
As a large group discuss the following questions:
1) To what relationship in your life can you apply some of 1 John's truth this week?
2) How can this group pray for you as you pursue this goal? Can anyone in this group help you with this?
3) Have someone in the group read 1 John 1:5-7. Are there any parts of your life that you need to bring out into the light?
4) Have each group member commit to pray for the rest of the group at least three times this week. Pray specifically that they would:
- walk in the light
- love those around them
- focus on Christ